|Project name: ||Census Transformation Programme - there are 4 reports for this project: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 |
|Google search: ||Google search on project name (opens in new window) |
|Organisation: ||ONS (D303) - see all reports for this organisation |
|Report year: ||2016 (data is from Sept 2015) |
|Category: ||Transformation - see all reports for this category |
|Description: ||The Census Transformation Programme will run from 2015 to 2025 and has been segmented into three clear objectives.
- Delivery of the 2021 Census: research, development, implementation and operation of a 2021 online Census
- Integrated population statistics outputs: developing and implementing methods for enhancing 2021 outputs and producing new outputs before 2021
- Beyond 2021: Delivery of a recommendation to produce population, household and characteristic information currently provided by the online census |
|DCA (RAG): ||Amber/Green |
|DCA text: ||Departmental Narrative on RAG rating:
1. Following a review of programme initiation activities the resulting recommendations are being implemented. The programme focus will change from research to prototyping and development to support the 2017 Test.
2. Requirement for additional delivery focussed posts during phase 2 has added pressure to the Programme ramp up activities, weekly meetings to monitor progress are continuing.
Recent successes include:
1. Sourcing and Procurement Strategies and Plans were signed off by the Programme Board and are being shared with the Cabinet Office, Crown Commercial Services (CCS) and the Government Digital Services (GDS).
2. We have tested the Service Orientated Architecture (SOA) development approach to ensure it is feasible for delivery of Census & resulting services.
Actions on Delivery Confidence:
1. Reviewing the future staffing requirements and assessing the implementation of the recommendations, resulting from the organisational and programme review activities.
2. Continue the joint working with Digital, Technology and Methodology (DTM) department, to assess the capability and capacity of DTM to deliver some of the census services. |
|Start date: ||2015-01-01 |
|End date: ||2025-03-31 |
|Schedule text: ||Phase 2 on schedule. IPA Gateway 2 Review is being held 11-14th January 2016. The Outline Business Case will pass through the internal approval functions on 14 January 2016. |
|Baseline: ||£19.93m |
|Forecast: ||£19.90m |
|Variance: ||None% |
|Variance text: ||Budget variance less than 5%. |
|Whole Life Cost: ||£981.32m |
|WLCost text: ||The spending review bid took the Interim Outline Business Case (approved at a Treasury Approval Point [TAP] in November 2014). The costs were reduced based on work done and evidence gained in the last year. This gave a total net saving of around £135m in cash terms over the life of the whole Programme. |
|Notes1: || Budget variance less than 5%. |
|Notes2: || |
|Sourcefile: ||IPA_2016.csv |
All Projects (+dates)
All Projects (+costs)
Acknowledgement: GMPP data has been re-used under the Open Government Licence.